Search for
Is there a typical profile for an IBS Sufferer?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fat Happens Forum Index -> IBS Forum - experts here to help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amanda Jane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Is there a typical profile for an IBS Sufferer? Reply with quote

From buddies on Buddy Power and from our website www.ibshealthcare.co.uk it seems the answer is no! As far as the scientists are concerned more women than men report suffering from IBS symptoms, but I wonder whether this is just because men don't go to the Doctors...certainly not for this sort thing! I am really keen to understand more about what any gender differences and the type of lifestyle sufferers are leading as I am sure more can be done to understand the causes if scientists knew more about the experience from both the male and female experience!

What's the view of buddy power readers? Do you know men that suffer, and what was going on in your life when the IBS symptoms started? Question
Is the above message: Offensive? Objectionable? Way off track?
LifeChangesNow

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Is there a typical profile for IBS sufferers? Reply with quote

I guess it's a range of symptoms that sufferers have in common rather than the underlying causes which seem to be many and varied.

IBS often seems to be associated with stress, but then the experience of IBS is stressful too. I did have a friend who was the most calm relaxed person you can imagine but who suffered for several years (but you never know what's really going on under the surface)

I have worked with a few men who have IBS who find it all very embarrassing. Sometimes it seems to be brought on as a result of some sort of anxiety about using the toilet, or an embarrassing incident of being caught short and then constantly worrying about it. One sufferer I knew had been 'gutted' by a relationship that went wrong, but it was only thorugh hypnosis that this came to light as the initial cause.
Is the above message: Offensive? Objectionable? Way off track?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fat Happens Forum Index -> IBS Forum - experts here to help
Page 1 of 1

Go to:  
IBS forum

Advertise with us  |  Privacy  |  Terms & Copyright                                                                                     Website maintained by USP Networks