Search for
Which symptom of IBS is the most inconvenient?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fat Happens Forum Index -> IBS Forum - experts here to help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amanda Jane

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Which symptom of IBS is the most inconvenient? Reply with quote

Is the above message: Offensive? Objectionable? Way off track?
Siobhan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Amanada,
IBS is just horrible and embarrasing and blooming inconvenient, at least if you feel sick you can do that almost anywhere and its quite quick. Although i have mentioned it in passing to my doctor i didn't make a big thing of it as i had a friend who suffered from it and the examination she described sounded horrible and i don't really want to have to have that done. The diorhea part is horrible and uncomfortable/painful but it's the unexpectedness of it and that fear that you can't hold it and will make a mess of yourself any minute along with the griping pain that i think is the worse. Although i can get it if i eat too many nutty things and i get it just before a period the main cause for me is stress and worry which is unfortunate as i am a worrier. I ALWAYS have imodium although it's got to the point where i am having to take so many now before i can safely leave the house (i haven't heard of the other things you mentioned but they will be on top of my to do list to get some. Even the thought of a long journey in the car miles away from a toilet starts me off especially if i am with anyone other than my husband as i don't want to disrupt other peoples lives and i am also embarressed. I try to keep calm which helps a little but i can't keep it up long. Even my journey to and from work can be a nightmare as it is 50 minutes each way along narrow country lanes (no toilets) and there gets to a point in my journey when there is no turning back to rush home as it is just as long to work. On the way home i have two options of toilets which are a local doctors (They are near the front door so thankfully i don't have to explain myself) and a pub where i don't want to have a drink but buy one anyway so i don't look like i have only come in to use their toilet. Once past these points i have to try and hold on for 40 minutes until i get home. On any journey i start obsessing about what i will do if we get stuck in a traffic jam and a load of other what ifs. I have to admit i take imodium even before the IBS kicks in 'Just in case'. Another thing i have take which i know i shouldn't as IBS is not what they were prescribed for is Diazipam (I am a nervous traveller and had some left over from holiday) it seemed to relax my muscles so i stopped needing to go. I HATE HAVING IBS I slmost hate it as much as being fat! i wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! I wish it would just go away, i hate it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil Crying or Very sad Embarassed
Siobhan
Siobhan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Which symptom of IBS is the most inconvenient? Reply with quote

Amanda Jane

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:10 am    Post subject: I've experienecd all the things you have described. Reply with quote

You are right it's the suddeness and urgency. I remember being on a country road, on the way to the stables, and having to turn off down a lane and relieve my bowels. Embarassed There was just nothing else I could do. You are right the worry about where the toilet might be just in case is all part of the stress. I heard about a lady who wouldn't travel on trains anymore becuase once on a long journey they announced that the toilets were all out of action and she spent the rest of the journey stressing about what she could do, should the enivitable happen. I think she spoke to the conductor and he agreed that should she really need it they would hold the train at a station.....she then had to just hope that the about would occur close to a stop, dealing with the embarrssment of hvaing to hold every one up!

I can honestly say however in my own case, these types of incident, these days are much much less. Don't believe anyone that it can be cured, or cured overnight. Starting to take control is the key. Believe that you can manage this. Try some of the different products longer treatment products like probiotics and intestaid , try stress managing techniques (like planning ahead). I normally have something with me for emergencies, like immoudium or diarsafe - to bung it up, mebervering or colpermin to reduce the cramps.
Siobhan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Amanda,
Thanks to the advise here i went out at the weekend and stocked up on some of the things that have been recommended so i live in hope that they will bring some relief, I just need to get used to taking the probiotic tablets regularly.
Thank you for the help
Siobhan
Judith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boy oh boy I could write a book!!
56 year old fat diabetic female with ibs for 40 years!! The medics do seem to be taking it more serious now but I have really struggled for many years.
However some 5 years ago I found a site help for ibs and I have been taking a SOLUBLE fiber supplement since then. 40 years ago was told, bran, wholemeal this & that, fiber, fiber and more fiber but this fiber was the INSOLUBLE fiber which generally does not help ibs whether your symptoms are d or c.
I also now take one immodium each morning - and if I was fit to work my ibs would not let me!!
The diabetes could kill me but it is the ibs that is killing my life.
The uncontrollable part of ibs is so distressing and I deo not think generally people understand unless they have witnessed you when you have an acute phase. I even have nappies to wear as a precaution when I am due to go out and if my ibs feels shaky.
and I am still overweight. Rolling Eyes
Sherrie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to suffer the other way around to the majority. I'm always constipated and never seem to go to the toilet without the help of some form of laxative.

If I forget and leave it for a week or so (which is supringly easy to do) I end up in awful pain when I do remember to take some and am sat on the loo for hours in tears trying to pass the build up Sad

My diet is really healthy with the odd bit of crap thrown so I'm at a loss at what I can do to help this.
Rachel H

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Constipation - meal/diet fact sheet Reply with quote

Hi

I am sure that you are following a healthy diet. Not sure if you have seen the fact sheet giving meal advice - see the url below if not.

http://fathappens.com/factsheets/nfe8045b2594946e4fe90dc3a89c87a3f/
You don't mention how active you are. Exercise is generally recommended - it doesn't mean you have to run a marathon, though!

Smile
Maria 1968

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi sherrie

I too suffer with constipation but luckily I have not had a flare up for months.
About two years ago I was really bad so I went for Colonic Hydrotherapy or Irrigation (it's the same thing). I had to tell him what sort of food I was eating which at the time I was doing Slimming World and was shocked to discover I was making myself ill by eating pasta, potatoes, yoghurts and bananas.

The pasta and potatoes were making me bloated, the bananas were making me constipated plus I was having a bowl of chopped up fruit with a yoghurt poured over the top for breakfast every day which was giving me wind.

He told me to eat fruit by it's self because when you mix it with other stuff it causes wind. I followed all his advice and so far so good, I know everyone is different but if you do or eat any of the things I did then you could try changing them to see if it helps.

Maria
Sherrie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Constipation - meal/diet fact sheet Reply with quote

Rachel H wrote:
Hi

I am sure that you are following a healthy diet. Not sure if you have seen the fact sheet giving meal advice - see the url below if not.

http://fathappens.com/factsheets/nfe8045b2594946e4fe90dc3a89c87a3f/
You don't mention how active you are. Exercise is generally recommended - it doesn't mean you have to run a marathon, though!

Smile

My diet is already simialr to the one recommended, bar the prune juice - i'll certainly try that!

It's a good point you raise about exercise but I am active to the point of extreme!! I train 5 - 7 times a weeks.

Morinings: 1 x weights, 2 x boxing and 2 x yoga.
Evenings: Between 0 and 2 x netball matches.
rascal

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: IBS Reply with quote

[sizeTO ALL THE SUFFERERS OF THIS HORRIBLE CONDITION ,I WANT TO SEND MY HOPES FOR A CURE SO YOU CAN LIVE A NORMAL LIFE.
I DON'T HAVE IBS, BUT MY MUM DOES AND I KNOW WHAT SHE GOES THROUGH, IT HAS MADE HER HOUSE BOUND,AND WORRIES ABOUT IT ALL THE TIME.
THE TROUBLE IS WITH MUM IS THAT SHE NEVER MAKES IT ONTO THE TOILET SO SPENDS ANOTHER HALF HOUR CLEANING THE BATHROOM, IT CERTAINLY IS THE MOST DISABLING PROBLEM, AND NOT ENOUGH RESEARCH HAS GONE INTO IT, AND MY EXPERIENCE WITH MY MUM IS THAT " IT'S SOMETHING YOU JUST HAVE TO LEARN TO LIVE WITH"
Debsy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: IBS & Anxiety Reply with quote

Hi...my name is Debbie...does anybody suffer anxiety symptoms with their IBS at all. When my stomach, intestines and bowel spasm I suffer terrible anxiety and panic sensations as well as bloating, cramps, trapped wind, feeling sick and the inevitable diahorrea! I take Mebeverine to help with the spasms but it doesn't always work. Does anybody have any suggestions of help! I suffer terribly from stress and I too am a constant worrier which doesn't help...I try to do relaxation tapes and exercise when possible. Help!!

Debbie Newman
Debsy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: IBS Reply with quote

rascal wrote:
[sizeTO ALL THE SUFFERERS OF THIS HORRIBLE CONDITION ,I WANT TO SEND MY HOPES FOR A CURE SO YOU CAN LIVE A NORMAL LIFE.
I DON'T HAVE IBS, BUT MY MUM DOES AND I KNOW WHAT SHE GOES THROUGH, IT HAS MADE HER HOUSE BOUND,AND WORRIES ABOUT IT ALL THE TIME.
THE TROUBLE IS WITH MUM IS THAT SHE NEVER MAKES IT ONTO THE TOILET SO SPENDS ANOTHER HALF HOUR CLEANING THE BATHROOM, IT CERTAINLY IS THE MOST DISABLING PROBLEM, AND NOT ENOUGH RESEARCH HAS GONE INTO IT, AND MY EXPERIENCE WITH MY MUM IS THAT " IT'S SOMETHING YOU JUST HAVE TO LEARN TO LIVE WITH"

Hi Rascal....I can completely sympathise with your mum...I too get housebound when my IBS is full blown...which is most of the time at the moment. The anxiety of worrying about going to places is immense at times. I have to make sure that where I go I can have full access to a toilet or I won't attempt to go! Please tell her that she is definately not alone with this....I too get caught out frequently with not making it too the toilet on time...it is extremely embarrassing...and so we avoid all areas as much as possible. However, it is not our fault and are unable to stop it. I try to wait for a good day and do as much as I can in that day knowing that tomorrow is going to be difficult!! And yes you are right not enough research has been done to try to find out why this happens...it is a case of LEARNING TO LIVE WITH IT THE BEST YOU CAN! At least she has you who understands her difficulty...it helps to be able to unload the burden sometimes to somebody who can sympathise!!! Debbiex
derd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am absolutley plagued by this, but I never go near the Dr. with it, because no matter what is wrong with me it is because I am fat. I spend my life either running to the toilet or constipated. It is so embarassing to have to go to the loo in work or outside of my family home. I feel humiliated by it, but there is nothing I can do, I am always asking my mum how I can possibly be so fat as everything I eat seems to fly through me for most of the month. I have noticed it seems to be linked to my cycle, with the constipation in the week or so before and the other extreme for the rest of the month.
I can also relate to those who mentioned the pain, mine is also on the left side, but I think it is more of a persistant dull ache than a sharp pain.
kindspiritual

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Thankgod Im not alone but I wish none of us suffered.
I have D IBS and cant travel,I have had to move 2 mins walk to my daughters school as I have nearly had accidents several times,if I cant rent this house for along time Im also in trouble.
Mine started when I was in the car with my ex husband who had road rage I was pregant and needed the loo bowels he got cross I never made it so it stays with me.1995 to 1999 I had it so bad I couldnt get in a car,then I left him it cleared up until I meet my now partner and got pregant again but it came back when I found out he cheated on me when I gotpregnant in 1999 it went?
So Im at my worst I know where all the toliets are,Ive had counselling hypnosises and I brath throughthe anxiety stage when I first have to get in a car or wlk where theres no toilets.Cambridge diet was great as there was no food but te little that was in me was coming out still daiy?But then I was left with the feeling I needed to go but there was nothing there,one doctor told me it was a very sensitive bowel the other made a hospital app for a camera up the bottom to check for serious things but I couldnt go as I needed the toliet and so here I am waiting to have a gastric bandand all I can think of is well will I die but more how will I have it when I need to run to the loo through anxiety and IBS?
I do know certain foods hayte my stomach and I now avoid them.

This is an awful problem and I just want to go back tohow I was just 7 years ago with it gone,all I know is mny partner causes me alot of stress through his cheating that it makes it worse.
One tip is I take Immodium the pinky one packet theone for cramos too before I go to bed and 9/10 my tum has been better?
Relaxaton techineques help with breathing to take your mind off travelling and the toilet

Breath in slowly ...........count to hold your breath count to 5 slowly...... release your breath to 3,do tis over and over and it does help a little.
Hypnosis is excellant but could only afford 1 session but want more find one that deals with this probelm.
Please feel free to add me as a buddy xxxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fat Happens Forum Index -> IBS Forum - experts here to help
Page 1 of 1

Go to:  
IBS forum

Advertise with us  |  Privacy  |  Terms & Copyright                                                                                     Website maintained by USP Networks